Knowledgeable, Dependable Service In Probate, Trust And Estate Law

A Lawyer Who Understands Your Family’s Needs

For many families, there comes a time when difficult decisions have to be made regarding the well-being of an elderly loved one. It may become apparent that an older person is making questionable financial decisions or is not as sharp as in the past.

In other situations, there may be an adult son or daughter who cannot manage his or her own legal and financial matters due to a disability. Whether your loved one is older or younger, our firm can help.

The attorneys at Chan Law Firm have more than 25 combined years of experience working directly with families in matters of guardianship and conservatorship. We understand that these sensitive issues can lead to hard feelings among family members, and we work to resolve these issues with the utmost care and professionalism.

If you have questions about guardianship or conservatorship in Georgia, please call us in Marietta at 678-894-7917 or complete our contact form. We advise and represent clients throughout metro Atlanta.

Is A Guardianship Or Conservatorship The Best Option For Your Family?

Having a family member or other person appointed by the court to be a guardian or conservator is a possibility. However, for elderly people who are still actively involved in their own affairs and have the capacity to remain active, it might be more prudent to set up a power of attorney. Depending on the needs of the vulnerable person, though, establishing a guardianship or a conservatorship could be a useful path to take.

Sadly, many elderly people in Georgia have been taken advantage of by schemers who have stolen large portions of the elderly persons’ savings. Financial exploitation of the elderly is a growing problem in Marietta and throughout the country. Our firm can help you put legal mechanisms in place to prevent or stop financial exploitation of the elderly.

Understanding Guardianships

For older people who require significant intervention in their affairs, establishing a guardianship might be prudent. Guardians make decisions regarding the care and well-being of their wards, who may no longer have the mental capacity to manage their own affairs.

Learn more about guardianships.

Conservatorship Management And Administration

If you have been appointed as a conservator, Chan Law Firm can help you administer conservatorship estates. The law requires annual reports to the probate courts on the activities of all conservatorships. The law also requires all conservators to petition for authority to invest, sell or dispose of any of the wards’ property.

Our firm can assist you in:

  • Preparing annual returns
  • Inventory and asset management plans
  • Petitioning for leave to sell or otherwise dispose of the ward’s property
  • Petitioning for leave to invest the ward’s property
  • Petitioning to encroach on corpus (to use money or property the ward has other than annual income)
  • Petitioning for discharge when you have completed the conservatorship

Whether you need help administering the conservatorship estate or have been cited by a court for your actions as conservator, the conservatorship attorneys at Chan Law Firm can help.

Learn more about conservatorships.

Contact Our Experienced Attorneys Today

Chan Law Firm is based in Marietta and serves clients throughout metro Atlanta. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 678-894-7917 or send us an email.