Conservatorships: Looking Out For Those Who Need Help

It goes without saying that having a parent or other elderly relative who is having difficulty keeping up with his or her financial affairs can be stressful. As a concerned family member, this situation can be one in which people feel compelled to act — not just for the person's immediate well-being, but for the continued solvency of that person's estate.

At the Chan Law Firm LLC, attorney Ophelia Chan works with sons and daughters in Georgia who recognize that their loved ones are unable to continue to manage financial matters independently. Seemingly reckless spending or sudden changes to financial strategies can be symptomatic of a person who may no longer be fit to manage his or her own finances any longer. A court-appointed conservator can act on behalf of a person with diminished capacity, managing his or her property and financial interests.

What Are The Duties Of A Conservator?

Many people who are named as conservator might be unfamiliar with the duties they are expected to perform. Ms. Chan is experienced in advising private citizens who take on the duties of a conservator. In addition to submitting annual reports regarding their duties, conservators may have many questions about what they need to do, particularly when it comes to legal disputes and elder law issues such as guardianship or conservatorship.

It may be that siblings or other family members do not agree with the choice of conservator and want to challenge this designation. As an experienced conservatorship lawyer, Ms. Chan can advise people on how best to proceed, whether they are the existing conservator or if they feel that someone else would be better suited for the task.

Conservatorships For Disabled Adult Sons And Daughters

If you have a son or daughter with special needs who will not be able to manage his or her own money as an adult, you can petition for a conservatorship. If your adult child needs assistance beyond money management, you may want to petition for guardianship.

Conservatorships For Minor Children

If you have a situation where a child is entitled to property or money, the Chan Law Firm LLC can help you establish a conservatorship for the child or petition the probate court for authority to compromise a claim, if necessary. Ms. Chan served as an assisting judge on conservatorships for minors and petitions to compromise claims on behalf of a minor in Cobb County Probate Court for several years and can help advise you on what is necessary for the Probate Court to approve the compromised claim.

Speak With An Experienced Attorney Today

Chan Law Firm LLC is based in Marietta and serves clients throughout metro Atlanta. For further information about conservatorships, please contact us online or call our firm at 678-894-7917.

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Chan Law Firm LLC
125 Church Street
Suite 315
Marietta, GA 30060

Toll Free: 866-350-7242
Phone: 678-894-7917
Fax: 678-256-3057
Map & Directions

Review Us